In the September 2019 release, we have added some new features and enhanced existing functionality in the BusinessOptix platform and also fixed some existing functionality. The highlights are:
- You can create a business and functional group hierarchy in master data for your organization, associate your processes with a functional group and use dashboards to access that. See Model Categorization by Business Functional Groups.
- As a stakeholder, but not the Author of a model, you'll receive fewer notifications on work in progress. See Notifications.
- In the Version 7 library we've made changes to filters, search and some smaller usability improvements. See Version 7 Library
- We've also added functionality to dashboards, process and work instructions, and process scenarios. See Authoring Content.
- Library Admins can set-up messages or announcements to be displayed to users when they login to a library. See Library Messages.
Model Categorization by Business Functional Groups
For organizations that categorize their business processes by business groups, functional domains or other areas we now provide a master data structure that allows you to describe the hierarchy of these logical groups within your organization. You can then associate a process (or other) model with the functional group. Joining all of this together allows you to create reports and dashboards that can aggregate information by the groupings or allow you to drill-down through the groupings to understand the relationship of the process models.
As part of this release for V7, we are also including a sample dashboard that shows your organizations divisions and when you select one, you'll be shown the functional groups within the division and then you can see all the processes associated with the functional group. As every organization has a slightly different categorization, you should use this as a starting point to create your own representation of your organization. [Only available in Version 7, Requires Stencil Update]
Following a review of change and comment notifications, we are reducing the user groups that are automatically subscribed to model changes or comment notification emails. This change will result in stakeholders who are not as actively involved in the model on a day to day basis receiving less email notification about the activity of maintaining the model. The summary is:
- Model Authors - will be automatically subscribed to both change and comment notification. You own the maintenance of the model and so you should be informed about any changes or discussions.
- Model Owners - will no longer be automatically subscribed to either notification type.
- Commenters - if you are involved in a discussion on the model you will only be subscribed to the comment notifications, not model changes.
- Model Editor - any Author who saves a model will no longer be automatically subscribed to either notification type.
- Workflow Participants - will no longer be automatically subscribed to either notification. Note that when the workflow is configured to send email then workflow participants will still receive a notification advising them that at a workflow action is required.
A user can continue to maintain their own subscriptions either via the Action menu in the model output or in User Settings or by following the link in the email notifications.
Additionally, we've changed Task Notifications so that you don't get a reminder telling you the task is due shortly if the task has been created within the last day.
[Immediately Available in all libraries]
Version 7 Library
Whether you are creating a filter from the Models, Forms, Insights tab the dropdown menu lists now allow you type ahead, allowing you to enter a few characters of the filter and to then more easily select the folder, model type, author name, etc. you wish to filter on.
The filters that you dynamically create in the Version 7 library can now be saved (and shared). When you are in Model, Forms or Insight views and set-up a filter you will see a star or email icon allowing you to save or share the filter. Once saved the filter will then appear on the left-hand side navigation with the name you entered. You can see all the filters on the library home page under the Filters tab (below bookmarks)
[Immediately available in V7 libraries]
We have extended the Version 7 search functionality to allow you to include more models/forms. When you search and view all results we'll now show you the top 100 models that meet your search criteria. A model status of withdrawn or archived is used to indicate that the information in a model should no longer be considered current and by default, we don't include them in search results. You can choose to include them. If the search term you entered didn't quite get you the result you expected you can now change it in the search results page.
Library administrators sometimes need to make announcements to users logging into BusinessOptix. You can now submit a form that allows you to set-up the display of messages for a defined time period with options on how the message is presented.
[Only available in Version 7, Requires Stencil Update]
Version 7 User Interface Improvements
- When you clear a task or comment from the menus at the top of the page, the menu now stays at its current location and doesn't refresh from the top. [Immediately Available in V7]
- When we make changes on how we generate model outputs we sometimes had to ask users to hit CTRL-F5 to clear out an old version from your browser. We've made changes to reduce this [Requires Stencil Update]
- For a library Author who only has read-only access to a folder/model we now only show the actions on the model details sidebar that they can perform. Previously the Author could attempt the action and the platform would prevent. [Immediately Available in V7]
A dashboard author can now configure the chart or table components to only show when a user has selected a value from another chart or table. This allows you to create a single page dashboard that presents both a summary and then show more details for a line item in the summary.
A dashboard author can now add a list of cards that are driven from data. This allows you to create a set of cards that represent values across a series of categories. For example, if you have a form with status on it, you can have a card list that shows the count of forms in each status on the card list. And when you update the list of status the card list won't require amendment.
[Only available in Version 7, Requires Stencil Update]
Process Model & Work Instructions
If you are creating work instructions to augment your process models, it's now easier to add new work instructions when you are editing a process model. In Author, you can now create new work instruction directly from the process model. Work instructions output has also had some enhancements to make the behavior consistent. [Only available in Version 7, Requires Stencil Update]
Process scenarios are now better able to support activities that take longer than a week to complete and processes that take multiple years to complete. [Requires Stencil Update]
When the author of a model initiates a workflow for the review/approval of the model they can now add a covering note that will be sent out on the email notifications. [Immediately available]
Manage and Administration
- Administrators can now choose to have log-in details and passwords sent via separate emails. To access this feature go to Manage/Settings. [Immediately available in all libraries].
- Administrators can also create access control on library extensions. This will then mean that Authors and other library users won't be able to see the model properties that are defined on the extension. A future change will move process cost metrics. [Immediately available in all libraries]
As your usage or our internal testing identifies issues we fix them. The release notes will identify main areas of functionality that have been fixed. This is not an exhaustive list of all fixes. The customer support team will contact the organization who raised the issue to confirm the issue is fixed with this release.
Version 7 Specific
- Deleting a model from Model Card view led to an empty page [Immediately available]
- If you have multiple files of the same name in a folder it was hard to work out which one was which [Immediately available]
- An apostrophe in a diagram name caused the output not to generate correctly [Requires Stencil Update]
- Adding a new user story to a process activity wasn't working correctly. [Requires Stencil Update]
- In process models, the systems and location labels were not correctly positioned. [Requires Stencil Update]
- External links in HTML content were not opening if the target website blocked framed content. [Requires Stencil Update]
- Wide text on PDF was overflowing the page [Requires Stencil Update]
- Message on not approving a model in workflow could be clearer [Requires Stencil Update]
- Filtering a model output view based on values held on lookups did not work [Requires Stencil Update]
- Following a link generated from model output to a component wasn't always working [Immediately available]
- File Move/Copy behavior in Author was not correct if you canceled the move/copy [Immediately available]
- In a small number of cases, Review/Approval workflows were sending duplicate emails. [Immediately available]